2023 - 2024 Football Thread (2024)

Post a Reply

Prev 1 135 136 137 138 139 160 Next

On June 08 2024 01:44 mahrgell wrote:
Soooooo?
Will there be an extra forum category again for the Euro?

I've also just created a fantasy league, if there is already one created and I missed the link or someone else wants to make a "more official one", just go ahead and we use that one.

TL League code: oxAbMf
link to the Euro fantasy: https://gaming.uefa.com/en/eurofantasy/overview

WombaT

Northern Ireland21371 Posts

July 01 2024 19:55 GMT

#2721

On July 02 2024 04:45 Acrofales wrote:

Show nested quote +

He's also just as selfish as he was in his prime, but without the ability to convert every half-chance he gets into a goal. Normally I'd say age doesn't remove players' magic touch. I saw Maradonna play in some weird friendly when he was over 50 and probably only barely weaned off his drug addiction. He was obese and ridiculous, but he got the ball somewhere a bit outside the box with a lot of time and space and curled it beautifully into the goal. Meanwhile Ronaldo took that free kick like an ass. Should clearly have let someone do an indirect kick, but his ego won't let him.

E: the flick to Leao was very nice.

I partly blame his coaches and teammates for that. He’s been absolute arse at free kicks for ages, iirc he had to adjust his technique due to a knee injury.

On the flipside Ronaldo has been almost the opposite of what I expected, minus not running a huge amount which predictably has been the case.

I expected him to not do a huge amount in general play and be absolutely lethal at seizing chances, or even half-chances given his quality. Instead he’s actually been quite decent in linking things, even beating the odd defender, but fluffing his lines in front of goal.

WombaT

Northern Ireland21371 Posts

July 01 2024 19:57 GMT

#2722

On July 02 2024 04:49 mahrgell wrote:

Show nested quote +

13 players 2023 - 2024 Football Thread (1)

Scotland - Jack Hendry
Portugal - Neves, Ruben

Merci! I had erased losing the Bros from Inter, that was bloody disappointing

Acrofales

Spain17369 Posts

July 01 2024 20:22 GMT

#2723

How is Pepe still fast enough to keep up with a 21-year old?!

E: and jumping higher than all of them.

E2: I stand by my opinion that he should've been banned for life for his violent psychopathic behaviour back in 2013 or so, but he has so far played an amazing match, at 41 years old.

mahrgell

Germany3921 Posts

On July 02 2024 05:22 Acrofales wrote:
How is Pepe still fast enough to keep up with a 21-year old?!

E: and jumping higher than all of them.

German commentator mentioned at the end of the first half: Pepe was still without any foul so far this tournament.
I do not know if this is still true, but regardless, it is impressive for a central defender. Especially one with Pepes history.

Acrofales

Spain17369 Posts

July 01 2024 21:14 GMT

#2725

Bets on Ronaldo missing the penalty. Pretty sure Oblak wins.

E: I knew it. I should put money on these calls :'D

WombaT

Northern Ireland21371 Posts

July 01 2024 21:17 GMT

#2726

Not a miss for me that’s a decent penalty, excellent save

gTank

Austria2438 Posts

July 01 2024 21:18 GMT

#2727

I mean, I have Ronaldo in my team but I dunno about that pen.

Edit: I mean the shot, it was good but Oblak had his number holy sheet.

mahrgell

Germany3921 Posts

July 01 2024 21:28 GMT

#2728

omg... what a series of f*ckups.... That would have been heart breaking

gTank

Austria2438 Posts

July 01 2024 21:29 GMT

#2729

Sesko MUST score here.... omg!

2023 - 2024 Football Thread (2)

Pandemona2023 - 2024 Football Thread (3)

Charlie Sheens House51390 Posts

July 01 2024 21:36 GMT

#2730

I thought he would have went down the middle, crazy from Ronaldo, he normally reads the situation perfectly.

Not to take away from the save, he pushes it onto the post.

Sesko, jesus christ the hype around that guy has gone. He was utter trash vs England, couldn't even control the ball, today he has missed a massive freebie. Arsenal and Chelsea dodged one there.

2023 - 2024 Football Thread (4)

Liquid`Drone

Norway28324 Posts

July 01 2024 21:39 GMT

#2731

Hilarious drama filled game. Wasnt a bad penalty but Oblak is amazing. Portugal tends to be good at shootouts but Oblak has a psychological advantage going into it!

Acrofales

Spain17369 Posts

July 01 2024 21:39 GMT

#2732

Looks like both teams have excellent penalty killer goalkeepers.

E: Thank god Ronaldo was saved from doing a Seedorf.

2023 - 2024 Football Thread (5)

Pandemona2023 - 2024 Football Thread (6)

Charlie Sheens House51390 Posts

July 01 2024 21:42 GMT

#2733

Ok, i want this keeper at Chelsea.

Madness, 3 great penalty saves.

Never seen a 3-0 penalty shootout before either lol

WombaT

Northern Ireland21371 Posts

July 01 2024 21:43 GMT

#2734

Diogo Costa take a bow

gTank

Austria2438 Posts

July 01 2024 21:44 GMT

#2735

Slovenia played really well until the penalties but cmon, how bad can a team be at that?!
This goal keeper is worth every cent!

WombaT

Northern Ireland21371 Posts

July 01 2024 21:45 GMT

#2736

On July 02 2024 06:39 Acrofales wrote:
Looks like both teams have excellent penalty killer goalkeepers.

E: Thank god Ronaldo was saved from doing a Seedorf.

Doing a Seedorf? Gotta say this reference isn’t one I picked out

Acrofales

Spain17369 Posts

July 01 2024 21:47 GMT

#2737

Lol. I was worried about the fantasy league there, thinking maybe goalies kept scoring for penalty saves in the shootouts. But it seems they don't. We don't have to suffer the indignity of JAT scoring 15 points there 2023 - 2024 Football Thread (7)

2023 - 2024 Football Thread (8)

Liquid`Drone

Norway28324 Posts

July 01 2024 21:51 GMT

#2738

I also have Costa but yeah that'd clearly be a bit wrong. ;p

KobraKay

Portugal4106 Posts

July 01 2024 21:58 GMT

#2739

On July 02 2024 06:51 Liquid`Drone wrote:
I also have Costa but yeah that'd clearly be a bit wrong. ;p

Me 2 but at least he got the MoM for some extra points!

Acrofales

Spain17369 Posts

July 01 2024 22:14 GMT

#2740

On July 02 2024 06:45 WombaT wrote:

Show nested quote +

Doing a Seedorf? Gotta say this reference isn’t one I picked out

Maybe it's a Dutch thing, but in the Euro 2000, Netherlands outplayed Italy in every way, except scoring. They got 2 penalties during regular playtime. Seedorf was one of the penalty takers, and he missed. Then in the penalty shootout he missed again. He was far from the only player to miss a penalty in that match, but he was already known as a bad penalty taker beforehand, took 2, and missed both. He was a great player and had an amazing career, but he will always be associated with that one game against Italy in the collective memory of the Dutch...

Prev 1 135 136 137 138 139 160 Next

Please log in or register to reply.

2023 - 2024 Football Thread (2024)
Top Articles